New Yorkers are unaware of the wide range of tech careers and opportunities available here in NYC. Oftentimes they lack the know-how needed to kick-off careers in tech.
As a first step, TTP launched a citywide campaign “Tech Jobs for All Types” and website “ttp.nyc” in an effort to help New Yorkers learn about and connect with resources to get them started. We collected information about what New Yorkers are looking to learn, what skills they have, and what resources they need.
To help continue to meet this challenge and solve this problem, TTP is going directly to the source – YOU! Given your experience as New Yorkers interested in tech, YOU know firsthand about what information is useful to help prepare for training, build needed skills and early exposure.
Armed with our data and what you know now, we challenge you to dream up and create a prototype that might better prepare and serve aspiring technologists.
We've provided access to the data we collected on the datasets page. Feel free to review and analyze the data to use in your final product. Interested in partnering with a data analyst to help you uncover additional insights? Use the forum page to chat with participants and team up or email email@example.com.
Are you a data analyst group or working on your own? Check out the Data Challenge below.
The following details include guidelines for each challenge and some ideas about possible functionality. Feel free to come up with your own ideas based on your own expertise and interests.
Create a website to be used in conjunction with newly developed ttp.nyc that aims to solve this problem. Possible functionality includes websites that:
- Informational: provide information and resources about tech careers
- Creative: allow users to create or display their work
- Collaborative: allow users to come together as a community to learn and network from each other
Create a mobile app (iOS or Android) to be used in conjunction with newly developed ttp.nyc that aims to solve the problem. Possible functionality includes apps that are:
- Informational: provide information and resources about tech careers or opportunities.
- Creative: game or quiz that introduces users to technical techniques
- Collaborative: allow users to come together as lallow users to come together as a community to learn and network from each other
Given the provided dataset and any other resources, help us tell a story about New Yorkers that are looking to start new careers in technology. Using data analysis and visualization tools, help us understand:
- Are there specific characteristics and interests about New Yorkers interested in tech?
- Are there many career changers?
- Are there any similarities across age groups? Neighborhoods? Education?
- What languages were most prevalent among users with skills?